Thread: What will your ARA look like?

What will your ARA look like?

I wanted to ask the community a simple question:

What will your phone look like?

I look forward to Google opening up the "Moto maker" ARA design tool, so we can begin playing with modules.

My perfect daily driver:

Colors: Clear with minimal RF shielding. Seeing the insides is totally cool. RGB LEDS will illuminate my modules (I look forward to 3D printing my own shells too). Anodized blue Endo (Black, overmolded, glass-filled nylon would also be cool, thermodynamics permitting).

Screen: ~300ppi AMOLED with Moto Active (AMOLEDS are best. Especially for low light)
    Top Module: Speaker with any front facing cam
    Processor: I am fine with mid-range specs, especially for their battery savings. I only encounter problems when Android renders higher res screens (I call this 'Android tablet syndrome'")
    Storage: 32gb with 128 Micro SD (Yes micro SD is essential)
    Software: 6.0, after using AOSP for two years I really like MOTO's enhancements.
    Comms: CDMA (lol), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE, the usual.
    Camera: OIS. I love photography. Sony has the best sensors, but the Toshiba modules currently built will likely work very well. Call me hipster, but I really like MOTO's camera app.
    Batt: Anything that lasts a full day, two days is even better! USB C is a must
    Durability: IP67 (My new Apple 6s+ was obliterated while crossing the street) I will be souping up my ARA, I'm sure I will manage to break it.
    Extras: More battery, extended patch antenna (Low frequency, satcom, Loon anyone? anyone?), Rear Touchpad would also be cool on the battery module(s). FLIR module will be fun to play with, along with the Silicon bases geiger counter.

What does the community think?

Hi laughingdesigner I would be so optimistic like you but the recent facts tell me another story
    Last edited by allpet66; 11-04-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allpet66 View Post
    Hi laughingdesigner I would be so optimistic like you but the recent facts tell me another story
    You mean you have doubts that Ara phone will come to market?

Quote Originally Posted by laughingdesigner View Post
    For myself I would like Ara phone with retina display, NFC, LTE, Wi-Fi, processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 820, 3Gb RAM. 128 Gb of internal storage (I don't like to use SD cards, so micro SD is not essential for me), Android (the latest version), durable battery (>3000mAh), keyboard case module

I look forward to Google opening up the "Moto maker" ARA design tool, so we can begin playing with modules.

My perfect daily driver:

Colors: Clear with minimal RF shielding. Seeing the insides is totally cool. RGB LEDS will illuminate my modules (I look forward to 3D printing my own shells too). Anodized blue Endo (Black, overmolded, glass-filled nylon would also be cool, thermodynamics permitting).

Screen: ~300ppi AMOLED with Moto Active (AMOLEDS are best. Especially for low light)
    Processor: I am fine with mid-range specs, especially for their battery savings. I only encounter problems when Android renders higher res screens (I call this 'Android tablet syndrome'")
    Software: 6.0, after using AOSP for two years I really like MOTO's enhancements.
    Camera: OIS. I love photography. Sony has the best sensors, but the Toshiba modules currently built will likely work very well. Call me hipster, but I really like MOTO's camera app.
    Durability: IP67 (My new Apple 6s+ was obliterated while crossing the street) I will be souping up my ARA, I'm sure I will manage to break it.
    Extras: More battery, extended patch antenna (Low frequency, satcom, Loon anyone? anyone?), Rear Touchpad would also be cool on the battery module(s). FLIR module will be fun to play with, along with the Silicon bases geiger counter.

That's quite a nice specs you have in the list. But I prefer Quad HD Super AMOLED displays with nearly 500ppi. Recently I'm very much impressed with the display of Samsung Galaxy S6. The color looks more vibrant.

@Michael, I strongly doubt whether Ara phone will come to the market as there is no positive news from their side for a long time.

Hi Michael I'm telling that in this year Google have made a lot of changes in the raod map (and they informed eveyone) but now the fans of Ara know very poor news about the project..... perhaps they have change their strategy of communication too, but I don't like this silence......

@chris, @allpet66, I hope Google ATAP team will overcome the obstacles related to Ara smartphone design and production, and will release modular phone eventually.

That is true that there is no news from them for long time... may be they decided to make some major design changes since the last MDK version release... may be there are difficulties with new Android version needed for modular phone to function properly... may be something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @chris, @allpet66, I hope Google ATAP team will overcome the obstacles related to Ara smartphone design and production, and will release modular phone eventually.

That is true that there is no news from them for long time... may be they decided to make some major design changes since the last MDK version release... may be there are difficulties with new Android version needed for modular phone to function properly... may be something else...
    @Michael I'm hoping like you that Google could solve all the difficulties and launch the smatphone on the market, but there are too doubts....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

All of them are expecting for a positive news from their side for a long time. Still not sure but let's hope for the best.

My perfect daily driver:

Pretty decent specs. I myself looking forward for the same specs.

I have found that there is a delay on launching Ara phone. Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Talukdar View Post
    I have found that there is a delay on launching Ara phone. Am I right?
    Yes there is a big delay. No news from their side for a long time. Not sure when they going to release it.