Thread: Why Google cancelled the ara?

Why Google cancelled the ara?

I feel very bad after reading the news that Google abandoned the plan for modular smartphones. Any idea why it being cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by alankilpatrick View Post
    I feel very bad after reading the news that Google abandoned the plan for modular smartphones. Any idea why it being cancelled?
    My first ide is that Ara phone wasn't robust enough. May be it was quite big and ugly as well comparing to modern stylish phones.

I don't believe that there were some technical problems. Google is the largest producer of OS software for smartphones (Android), plus they had partnership with Toshiba and other giants. So any kind of technical or soft problems could be solved.

The cancellation is a somewhat surprising reversal, given that it was announced just three months ago that Ara developer kits would ship in late 2016, and a commercial product would arrive in 2017. It seems that the cancellation is part of a broader streamlining of the company’s hardware production.

In my opinion the project lost his thru north, did you remember the slogan in the web page "the phone for the other 6 billion"? that was the thru north... it was to be inexpensive, beautifully functional, full modular and yes bulky but that is something I can live with. With good R & D all the technical problems can be fixed. When Paul Eremenko left the project I got this bad feeling that the project could fail. To day I visited the web page and there is no message or anything telling about the cancellation. It will be a terrible waste to cancel the project.

Quote Originally Posted by oll View Post
    In my opinion the project lost his thru north, did you remember the slogan in the web page "the phone for the other 6 billion"? that was the thru north... it was to be inexpensive, beautifully functional, full modular and yes bulky but that is something I can live with. With good R & D all the technical problems can be fixed. When Paul Eremenko left the project I got this bad feeling that the project could fail. To day I visited the web page and there is no message or anything telling about the cancellation. It will be a terrible waste to cancel the project.
    But Ara fans never expect this. It is a big disappointment.

Feel sad. I already had bad vibes when they delayed but still hoped it would make it to market.

It is very hard to digest what Google did. This phone would've changed the game completely but Google ruined everything.

Quote Originally Posted by riyaz View Post
    It is very hard to digest what Google did. This phone would've changed the game completely but Google ruined everything.
    Completely agree with you. I had a big hope on it, never thought it would end like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alankilpatrick View Post
    Completely agree with you. I had a big hope on it, never thought it would end like this.
    I think it's better to support Puzzlephone now.

Yes, that is the only choice for us. Let's hope for the best.

It seems puzzlephone is also a question mark

It's been a hard year for the PuzzlePhone team, they ran short on funding and had to delay the release. Also they didn't get a good reception from Kickstarter.

It's been a hard year for the PuzzlePhone team, they ran short on funding and had to delay the release. Also they didn't get a good reception from Kickstarter.
    I agree that they are facing difficulties but at least they need to update what is going on

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I agree that they are facing difficulties but at least they need to update what is going on
    Hope they bring up a good news soon.

May be the reason is, the modular phones will kill the business market of many phones including Google's own Pixel phone.