Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: OS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtmara/
    Posts
    11

    OS

    Is some one working with a module that can use other OS like windows phone? I think it is posible to use any OS as long as it supports unipro.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by oll View Post
    Is some one working with a module that can use other OS like windows phone? I think it is posible to use any OS as long as it supports unipro.
    UniPro is not the highest OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) layer in Ara network stack.

    UniPro is used at the data link, transport, and network layers. UniPro is designed specifically for mobile applications and enables a lightweight, low-latency packet-switched network between modules on an Ara phone.

    So, it seems that you're right: if the operating system (like Windows) supports UniPro protocol, theoretically it might be able to handle the Ara phone.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtmara/
    Posts
    11
    I was doing some research on this and I believe that yes it is possible to develop an AP module that run Microsoft Phone OS. And I think that present Lumia (Nokia) devices are all ready implementing some of the MIPI standards. So big difference is that ARA is a modular hardware with hot swap in mind, so it will need:
    1. develop drivers
    2. Frame work to UniPro and other MIPI protocols.
    3. New App's and services to support hot swap and module removal.
    4. If developed by other than Microsoft it will need license to MS Phone OS.
    Hope to see some one developing this because first, that will proof ARA as a thru open architecture just like ATX in PC's. And second like many others, I run Windows and Linux in my PC so why not in my phone?
    Last edited by oll; 04-21-2015 at 08:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by oll View Post
    I was doing some research on this and I believe that yes it is possible to develop an AP module that run Microsoft Phone OS. And I think that present Lumia (Nokia) devices are all ready implementing some of the MIPI standards. So big difference is that ARA is a modular hardware with hot swap in mind, so it will need:
    1. develop drivers
    2. Frame work to UniPro and other MIPI protocols.
    3. New App's and services to support hot swap and module removal.
    4. If developed by other than Microsoft it will need license to MS Phone OS.
    Hope to see some one developing this because first, that will proof ARA as a thru open architecture just like ATX in PC's. And second like many others, I run Windows and Linux in my PC so why not in my phone?
    You're quite right.

    First we need to wait for the market pilot in Puerto Rico. If it will be successful, Microsoft may refine Windows OS for modular smartphones

  5. #5
    Windows would be cool, but I imagine Chrome/ android will be ported

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by oll View Post
    I was doing some research on this and I believe that yes it is possible to develop an AP module that run Microsoft Phone OS. And I think that present Lumia (Nokia) devices are all ready implementing some of the MIPI standards. So big difference is that ARA is a modular hardware with hot swap in mind, so it will need:
    1. develop drivers
    2. Frame work to UniPro and other MIPI protocols.
    3. New App's and services to support hot swap and module removal.
    4. If developed by other than Microsoft it will need license to MS Phone OS.
    Hope to see some one developing this because first, that will proof ARA as a thru open architecture just like ATX in PC's. And second like many others, I run Windows and Linux in my PC so why not in my phone?
    I completely agree with your point. I was also expecting for Windows OS on Ara.

  7. #7
    Windows OS would be a good option for Ara. The performance and user experience is way better in Windows OS compared to android.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Windows OS would be a good option for Ara. The performance and user experience is way better in Windows OS compared to android.
    I doubt that Windows OS is better than Android, but it has a lot of fans, so an option to have Windows 10 on Ara phone would be good.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I doubt that Windows OS is better than Android, but it has a lot of fans, so an option to have Windows 10 on Ara phone would be good.
    Each OS has its own pros and cons. Android has lot of applications compared to windows. But according to me windows OS doesn't lag much like android.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •