Thread: Project Ara Spiral 1 Dev Kit photos have appeared on the internet

Project Ara Spiral 1 Dev Kit photos have appeared on the internet

Reddit user marksizzle has posted some photos of the Project Ara Dev Kit. It contains three dev boards (application processor (AP) board, a Generic Endpoint Dev Board and an Endo Switch Dev Board) and cables.

The user mentioned on his Reddit account:

"Our team actually got the package in last week but most of us were on vacation so we are just getting our first crack at the kit this week. Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

Also, I checked with Google and the Ara team about posting photos/videos and got the okay on that so if anyone has a request I'll do my best accommodate."

And some time later:

"So the modules (or dev boards in this case) of the Ara phone will actually be communicating via a network protocol. The network architecture is based off of MIPI's (<--The standards body/alliance) M-PHY (physical interface) and UniPro (network protocol).

On the Spiral 1 devkit's this is achieved by all of the round golden connectors you see. The boards will be linked together via the previously mentioned connectors and the Emerson SMA network cables from pic #7 in the album I linked.

Basically this technology (M-PHY and UniPro) is designed with mobile in mind and can (theoretically) allow Gigabit communication speeds between the components/modules of the phone; all while consuming low power with low swing signaling and frequent periods of standby.

As I mentioned in another comment I won't mention my company's name just yet (I'll check with them if its okay; although I'm sure some googling will allow people to find out who I am and who I work for). As for what we are working on, our company works with wireless technologies (WiFi, BT, BLE) and we work a lot in the medical market. So we have some interesting module ideas regarding connectivity and medical applications on the go. I hope to share more soon!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_whats_in_the_box.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	35

Name:	2_ara_dev_kit_contents_list.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	36

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	37

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	38

Name:	4_micro_usb_cable_hdmi_to_dvi_cable.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	39

Name:	15_endo_dev_board_rev_c.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	40

Name:	5_iec_power_cord_6ft.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	41

Name:	6_power_brick_5v_4a.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	42

Name:	7_cable_sma_sma.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	43

Name:	8_ap_dev_board_rev_d_sd_card.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	44

Name:	14_endo_dev_board_rev_c.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	45

Name:	9_ap_dev_board_rev_d_sd_card.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	46

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	47

Name:	11_generic_endpoint_dev_board_rev_d.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	48

Name:	12_generic_endpoint_dev_board_rev_d.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	49

Name:	14_endo_dev_board_rev_c.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	45

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	50

Wow their team might be excited after receiving the package. Thanks to admin for sharing the information.

At present, the developers may feel bad because of the delay in releasing the ara.

The ARA (A8A01) we have is likely the developer version of the ARA which Google talked about during the first half of 2016. The endoskeleton, which houses the display and the unremovable internal components, is metal, except for the insert panels covering the front-facing camera and speaker above and below the display. The modules on the back of the phone are covered is a soft-touch plastic. Similar to the early concepts Google showed off, the modules are held in place by electromagnets.