Thread: What if someone stole the modules?

What if someone stole the modules?

Just curious to know about the security of modules. What if someone steals the CPU module or camera module from your modular phone and add it to theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by mopo View Post
    Just curious to know about the security of modules. What if someone steals the CPU module or camera module from your modular phone and add it to theirs?
    Google has stated that each module will have it's own unique serial number that can be identified if a Ara phone connects to the internet. It's unclear how Google is going to enforce a stolen module within another device. I assume it will either reject that stolen module or identify where that module is located, could do both. But Google stated that patent trolls (or in this case module trolls) could steal a S/N from a module and report it stolen. Then contact the victim for a ransom to unlock their device. So Google themselves are still figuring out this security system, since they know first hand how damaging patent trolls can be.

I never really thought about these but Google definitely need to consider more about the security of the modules.

Quote Originally Posted by mopo View Post
    It's really a good question. I hope Google come up with a better security system to avoid the issues.